A

p

e

r

s

o

n

a

l

B

l

o

g

My Work in February

DIY: 7 Segment Display

My work on the do it yourself 7-segment-display with two digits at the moment. It is a matrix of some led’s which are driven by a hardware board. The driver consists of two shift registers and some cords.

Seven Segment Display

Obviously there is a software part required to make useful things. However this project is still in an early stage and I will deliver some code and build instructions on my GitHub repository soon.

Actually I was looking for a cheap display big enough to fit my needs but I failed and constructed my own one in the size of 297x210 mm per digit. Costs are less then 5 Euros.


Web Application

Kitchen: Web App & Database

Recent work on my kitchen app. Since I started the project in june last year a lot of has changed. Some fixes and improvements are still required but I considerer this app in a good development state. Also, some tests would harden the project for the future and a better, responsive user interface would be awesome too. There is still some work and usually it is more then it seems to be at the moment. Due to lack of translation you can only visit a preview in german language. As mentioned earlier I publish only sources at the moment.


Airrohr

Airrohr: Measuring air pollution

A project to measure air pollution using the ESP8266 controller and SDS011 particle sensor. Background of the project is to motivate people building there own hardware and sending local air pollution data to a centralized place. At the end you get an overview on a map. Interestingly the project is designed to give all people without background knowladge the possibility to participate. Just follow the introduction.

That worked well but doesn’t fit my needs. I want to share the wireless hardware with a second project and have to modify the firmware. The project suggests using the NodeMCU firmware on the ESP8266 controller but it doesn’t. The original airrohr firmware is not scripted in lua. It is more a native application with some Arduino foo. This was a bit annoying because I ensured in advance to have the tools building the latest NodeMCU firmware. Now I decided to script my own measurement software using lua. But this is a story for the next article.